Re: vmware workstation 5.0

On 11/29/05, Alejandro Barcena <amd64@gulag.org.mx> wrote:
> I'm having trouble compiling the vmware modules. I guess it's something
> stupid what I'm missing.
> I didn't had the problem while using kernel 2.6.8-11-amg64-k8

I seem to recall some trouble doing that myself. I think VMware tries
to use gcc, which is really gcc-4.0. Unless I am mistaken, the kernel
has to be compiled using gcc version 3, and that also goes for the
modules.

Setting CC did not seem to have any effect on the VMware script, so I
ended up creating a new directory, putting a link there to gcc-3.4
called gcc, and add it to the beginning of my $PATH. This is from
memory, so I can't guarantee for the details.

And you may need to update the kernel module, because the stock
version may only be compatible with 2.6.10 or older. The server
address is http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware . BTW, is this an unofficial
patch?

Thomas