Re: Hello! from a newbie+ problems with debian for amd64+can't boot debian for i386 on amd64 from cd+can't extract sbm.bin from cd

Hi Martin!

I have no experience with nforce4 boards, so I can't give you much help here.
However, I would suggest to add the module for your network card to the
file /etc/modules. On booting, the network card wich is detectetd first
becomes eth0, and the one detected second eth1 (this was easier when there
was no ieee1394 (firewire) ethernet!). After modifying /etc/modules, restart
your PC, and hopefully your standard network card will be on eth0.

Dual-booting different Debian (or other Linux/Unix installations) is no
problem at all. I would suggest using the Grub bootmanager, but you also can
do it with Lilo (both are offered by Debian, al least when you are looking
for advanced configuration). You should carefully read the documentation of
your bootmanager before installing it -- otherwise any other OS may become
temporarily unavailable after installation of the bootmanager.

Concerning partitioning, just be carefull not to overwrite existing partitions
containing other OS. Apart from this warning, I believe the partition manager
is fairly straightforward to use. You can add and delete partitions, choose
the filesystem (just go with the default ext3; STAY AWAY FROM REISERFS), and
decide on formatting and mounting point of the partitions.

Metapackages are just collections of packages. The metapackage kde-core
installs every package neccessary for a working KDE environment, including
basic applications. Instead of installing every single package, you just type
"apt-get install kde-core" or "aptitude install kde-core". As always, read
the documentation of apt-get or aptitude - these tools are very
powerful, but they also can do much harm!

If you need a complete desktop environment, I would still go with i386
"stable" or "testing". These are fairly stable and offer a complete choice of
software. In addition, many  applications like Adobes AcrobatReader and the
free OpenOffice, are only available as 32bit version. It is possible to use
32bit software with amd64 debian as well, but it is much more work to get it
working.

Regards     Clemens

Your mail from Tuesday 29 November 2005 01:06:

--
Clemens Bergmann
Schwertlilienweg 14

mail@clemens-bergmann.de