Re: Motherboard with many SATA ports: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum ?

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 04:48:50PM -0500, Chris DiVirgilio wrote:
> I believe you can.  You can definitely put a 4x PCIe card into a 16x
> slot, I'm not sure it the SLI-ishness makes a difference.  That's
> probably the question you're asking.

I would be surprised if it did make a difference myself, but I don't
have such a board or such a card to try.  But given most board configure
it as 16x and 1x or 8x and 8x, it actually might not be a bad way to get
a cheap consumer board that can run a very nice PCIe raid card. :)  Of
course if you are silly you could run the video card in 16x and the
other slot in 1x and just starve the raid card with only 500MB/s of
bandwidth.  Not sure why they use 4x and 8x connectors on the raid
cards.  PCIe 16x does seem to be just PCIe with more lanes, but maybe I
am guessing wrong and the 16x slots are special for video in some
manner.  Hopefully not though.