Re: Motherboard with many SATA ports: MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum ?

On 20:28, Mon 28 Nov 05, Andre Majorel wrote:
> Sorry, yet another motherboard question.
>
> Looking for a socket 939 motherboard with a comfortable number of
> SATA ports (at least 6, preferably 8). The application is software
> RAID.
>
> Here's what I've found so far :
>
>                           NB   PCI SATA ports______  Ethernet______________
> Asus a8n-sli deluxe       nf4s  3  4(nf4) + 4(3114)  g(nf)      + g(marvel)
> Asus a8n-sli premium      nf4s  3  4(nf4) + 4(3114)  g(nf)      + g(marvel)
> Gigabyte ga-k8n ultra-9   nf4u  3  4(nf4) + 4(3114)  g(marvel)  + g(cicada)
> Gigabyte ga-k8nxp-9       nf4u  3  4(nf4) + 4(3114)  g(nf)      + g(marvel)
> MSI k8n diamond           nf4s  3  4(nf4) + 2(3132)  g(nf4s)    + g(88e8053)
> MSI k8n diamond 54g       nf4      4(nf4) + 2(sil)   g(nf4)     + g(marvel)
> MSI k8n neo4 platinum     nf4u  4  4(nf4) + 4(3114)  g(88e1111) + g(88e8053)
> MSI k8n neo4 platinum sli nf3      4(nf3) + 2(sil)
> MSI k8n sli-fi            nf4s     4(nf4) + 2(sil?)  g(marvel)
>
> I'm not too hot for Gigabyte due to past experience with BIOS
> updates, or lack thereof. The Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe/Premium and
> MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum look good. The A8N-SLI Deluxe/Premium
> support SLI, which I have no use for, at the expense of a PCI
> slot. They're also more expensive than the K8N Neo4 Platinum.
>
> All other things being equal, I'd rather have AGP than PCIe16
> but I haven't found an AGP motherboard with enough SATA ports.
>
> So it looks like it's going to be an MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum.
> Comments ? Suggestions ?
>
> --
> André Majorel <URL:http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
> Do not use this account for regular correspondence.
> See the URL above for contact information.
>

> --

You can always add a pci sata controller card, if you need
more ports, yes it will take up a pci slot but it could be
an option.

>From your list I would go for the MSI K8N neo 4 Platinum
seems to have everything you need, and has some nice
ethernet ports.

In some of the groups I follow, MSI is getting the nod for
more and more builds, these are from guys who might build 8
to 10 systems a year for family and friends.

Also you need to remember that most companies do not make
there own boards but sub contract those out, and only put
the components on. You might want to check out the articles
on motherboards fabs. So it is quite possible that more than
one mb manufacture use's the same subcontractor. The only
difference is the QA and how much the boards are tested.

I have a MSI socket A board that is running very nicely, and
I have not had any problems. In todays market the mb
manufactures really can not afford to have too many problems
so you will likely find the quality between the boards to be
somewhat the same. What it comes down to is the service, I
know for a fact that MSI has an online RMA request form. I
have had the worst problem with Gigabyte RMA problems. In
the end I had to trash a board, because it would not hold up
a +5 volt line and would not work right. I did not want to
keep calling Gigabyte.

Gnu_Raiz