Re: kernel issues

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 05:39:23PM -0500, James D. Freels wrote:
> I would like to revert from 2.6.14 to 2.4.32 and try the older drivers
> for a while.

This will not be possible with the 64bit userland: the libc does support
NPTL only and has no legacy linuxthreads support, thus the system will
refuse to boot.

> However, when I started the menuconfig, I discovered there is not a
> "processor type" for the AMD Optoren.  There is AMD Hammer, Intel
> x86-64, and generic x86-64.  I am guessing I need the generic x86-64.

No, AMD Hammer is the correct architecture for Athlon64/FX and Opterons.

> Is this correct ?  Will the amd64 in 64-bit mode run on a 2.4.x kernel ?

not with the debian port.

> Should I revert to a lower 2.6.x kernel ?  The troublesome driver is the
> "Adaptec AIC7xxx Fast -> U160 support (New Driver)" ?

try lowering the speed settings in the adapter bios: if it's set to 160,
lower it to 80 or 40 and see if it works then. Some devices are picky
with controllers and settings, and from my experience adaptec ones are
not always the most cooperative controlers in this concern.

HTH
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG