Re: changed ownership of / by mistake...

Hello.

> (logged in as root) and I entered:
>
> # chown -R craig:craig /*

:-{

Hopefully there is a Debian tool to repair this...  But I don't
know it.  So better first wait for someone more knowledgeable
than I, before attempting the brute method:

Short of reinstalling the whole system as a last resort, I would
try to reinstall all the packages.  The following command

 dpkg --get-selections | perl -ane 'print $F[0], " " if $F[1] =~ /^install/' > SELECT

gives you a file containing a line that lists all the package
currently installed.  You then cut-and-paste that line right
at the end of this command:

 apt-get --reinstall -u install

and press enter...
[Note/WARNING: I did not test this!]