Re: Ip own modem/router ADSL

A J Stiles wrote:

On Tuesday 15 November 2005 08:42, antonio giulio wrote:
Hi,

how can I see my ip modem (it's a router too, and I connect to it via
dhcp)?

with "ip route show" I can see just local address 192.168.1.1, but I
wanna know real address on internet.

Thanks,
Giulio

Assuming the router is working and connecting to the internet, but you can't see anything on the configuration page {you have tried training a web browser on its "internal" IP address, haven't you?}, do a traceroute to somewhere like www.debian.org or bbc.co.uk. Use the -n option to show IP addresses in numeric form, rather than hostnames:

# traceroute -n www.bbc.co.uk

If you are lucky, the first hop will be your router's own external IP address. If you are unlucky, the first hop will be an "unroutable" 10.x.y.z address -- this means your ISP is connecting you through a secondary router {mine does that}. In which case, get someone whose IP address you *do* know to put this in their cgi-bin:

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
my $ip_address = $ENV{"REMOTE_ADDR"};
print qq|Content-type: text/plain

Your IP address is $ip_address.
|;
exit 0;

Then visit it with a web browser.

Drop me an e-mail off-list if you need access to mine {I don't want the spammers who trawl this list to peddle their counterfeit drugs, pirated software and worthless shares slashdotting me}.

go to www.whatismyip.com

that's the dirty-but-simple option