Re: Asus A8V - Promise Controller

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:14:43PM +0100, Klaus Pieper wrote:
> I use an Asus A8V with two disks in the Via IDE controller and a PATA
> drive on the Promise Controller. Never got this setup running with
> debian. The sarge and testing installation cds did not recognize the
> drive; also tried the new 2.6.14 kernel with unstable, which hangs
> during bootup.
>
> Gentoo booted the stuff without problems, so I ported the 2.6.12 Gentoo
> kernel (vanilla plus tons of patches) and compiled it with make-kpkg.
>
> Anybody got this up on debian?

I have only used the via pata ports and the promise and via sata ports
so far on the board.

I run 3 sata drives (2 on via ports and one on promise) and one dvd
writer on the via pata ports.  That works fine (2.6.8 didn't see the
promise sata, but 2.6.11+ does).  Not sure if the pata port on the
promise is fully supported yet or if it requires external patches.  Do
you have enough pata devices to need the promise port yet?