Re: Virus Scanner 64 bits version ??

On 10/18/05 01:58:53AM +0200, Michele Concina wrote:

> mmh..just a stupid question..do i need a virus scanner? r there virus
> for linux? i thought that was impossible to be "infected" coze how can a
> virus install itself if i use my os not as root?
> I'm just a newbie so i don't know so much about security on debian and
> GNU/Linux systems....
> michele

Virus scanners on Linux are largely worthless right now since 99% of the
definitions they use are for Windows viruses. But don't fool yourself into
thinking that Linux is impregnable. The kernel has had it's share of local
root exploits and most network daemons have had some kind of remote exploit
in their lives.

A virus may not be able to infect /bin/ls as your regular user, but it sure
could delete all of your personal data and mail itself to your friends. And
most people care more about their own data than their OS, I can install
Debian sid in a very small amount of time but replacing all of my data
would be virtually impossible since I don't back things up like I should =)

I'm not recommending that you install a virus scanner, I'm just saying that
you shouldn't be any more lax in your security procedures since you're
running Linux.

Jim.