IA32 chroot

I'm reading the amd64 howto.  I've never used chroot on a computer.
I'm getting a little intimidated by this chroot stuff.

Before I get ahead of myself, I should mention that I'm going to
running just a basic LAMP server (with a few other apps like VIM,
webmin, and SquirrelMail) on my 64 bit machine.  No X windows,
openoffice, or anything like that.  Will I even need to worry about 32
bit apps?

Second, for my own edification, can someone please help me
conceptualize why I would need chroot to run some 32 bit applications?
 Having never seen chroot in action, I've never been able to grasp
what exactly chroot does for you.  I know it makes another directory
the root but...so what?

Also, the howto isn't very clear on a point.  It mentions a "quick
way" to run 32 bit apps by doing an apt-get install ia32-libs.  Does
this work in lieu of doing a IA32 chroot?

Thanks.

--
Dondley Communications
http://www.dondleycommunications.com

Communicate or Die: American Labor Unions and the Internet
http://www.communicateordie.com