Intel EM64T vs. Opteron

Hi all,

I recently (re-)subscribed to the mailing list, I have a couple
specific questions, and can't seem to find any good data about it, and
would like to tap people who probably have some real-world experience
with it.

First off, I am a user of Debian-amd64 right now - and I love it. I
run it on Opterons. It screams.

I have a chance soon to switch out my servers, and going the Intel
route I would be able to get a lot more bang for my buck. The website
says that EM64T works fine with Debian-amd64, I just want to make sure
there's no gotchas, compared to using it on an Opteron-based system.

Basically, I'd be looking at an Intel 830D (3.0ghz, dual-core, EM64T)
processor-based system, with 1 gig of ram and SATA HD vs. a
single-core Opteron 1.8ghz (or a dual-processor NOT dual-core Opteron
1.8ghz) system, same HD and same RAM. Has anyone had the opportunity
to benchmark this, or have any real experience with changing the
underlying platform? I can build an 830D based system with dual-cores
for cheaper than a single-core Opteron box right now (I have some
discounts) but if the performance isn't as good as it seems it should
be, or there's some odd things that must be done to get EM64T to work
properly under Debian-amd64, I'd like to know that before committing
to the hardware choice :)

I plan on running the latest Linux kernel 2.6.x - two of my servers
will be LVS machines and I will have a handful of webservers running
this platform, in case you're wondering about specific usage.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

- mike