Re: perspectives on 32 bit vs 64 bit

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

Intel has some extension that allows to address up to 64GB ram and
linux supports that.
Yes, PAE, for 64 GiB of physical, not /virtual/ RAM. Helege was trying to suggest you can get 48-bits of virtual addressing space, which isn't possible.

In PAE, 32-bit virtual addresses are translated to 36-bit physical ones.

The process still only sees 32-bit of space (and can only use 3G) but that memory could physically be located anywhere in a 64GB range now, instead of a 4G one.

 But I'm not sure if that is also supported in
32bit mode on em64t. Wouldn't think so.
You mean, before entering long mode, or when running 32-bit apps in long mode. The answers I beleive are yes and no, respectively.

Adam