Re: circling in on HW issues

I had those dma_intr hard drive seek errors on a few different occations, and each time the problem was that I was using an old 40 pin IDE cable on a new EIDE 133 drive. After upgrade the cable to a proper 80 pin EIDE one, the problem went away.

Just something to check.

Peter Sheldrick wrote:

Wenn i install Win64 it exits with a bluescreen after
partitioning. I'm listing the errors i got at the
bottom of the post - although they aren't very
interresting.
I also tried gentoo - i can't install it because i
can't decrompress a tarball. At random stages of
decompression or tar -xvjpf
stage3-amd64-2005.1.tar.bz2 it quits with:
"gzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing input
file = (stdin) output file = (stdout)"
*snip*
"tar: Unexpected EOF in archive"
"tar: Unexpected EOF in archive"
"tar: Error is not recoverable exiting now."

I checked the md5s and even downloaded a fresh tarball
so the files i used were ok.

But like with the debian-installer i get a variety of
inconclusive errors.
What i'm also going to note is:
When i do:
"hdparm -tT /dev/hda" i get:
hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 {Drive Ready Seek Complete
Error}
hda: dma_intr: error = 0x84 {Drive Status Error Bad
CRC}
ide: failed opcode was unknown
four times but it then goes on with the test.

all of the above applies to my IDE and SATA drive - i
tested everything twice just to make sure.

When i tested the HDs with tools from the vendors
Seagate and Hitachi, the tools told me that really
everything was ok - Seagate even had a test for my
mobo HD controller which the controller passed.

All i know is that whatever OS i installed with
whatever kernel - i never got passed decompressing and
installing the system files. Since the HDs are
perfectly ok i'm blaming it all on the mobo which must
be faulty. Next i will update the bios - if it doesn't
help i'm contacting ASRock so i can try again with a
fresh mobo.

even more muddled
- Peter

PS: thanks for all your hints - please keep them
coming - i might try some more tests when i think they
are worth it.

PPS: what i really need help with is how to locate HW
errors and make sure that the part im swapping is
actually the source of the errors

PPPS: Windows errors

CLASSPW.SYS
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFFFFD1DF2369F5A8,
0x0000000000000001, 0xFFFFFADFE3E3681E,
0x0000000000000007 ***CLASSPNP.SYS - Adress FFFFFADFE3 E3691E base at
FFFFFADF E3E35000, Datastamp 4243605a

+ another similar one

___________________________________________________________ Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de