Re: Asus K8N, Cool'n'Quiet, and sensors.conf

On Thu, 2005-10-06 at 18:06:39 -0300, Peter Cordes wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:07:35AM -0500, David Wood wrote:
> > Has anyone else noticed instability when using cpufreq modules?
> >
> > I have a pretty stable system, but I get OOPSes within a few hours
> > or days of using cpufreq_ondemand, and I've had a few crashes I was
> > pretty sure were related to cpufreq_userspace/powernowd.
>  I've found that my machine is a lot less stable when running at lower
>  than max speed.  Not just stuff crashing, but memtest (from sysutils,
>  or memtester; just mlock()s some memory to test, not like
>  memtest86+).  memtest finds errors when the CPU is slowed down.
>  There might be other correlated factors, like disk access.  To change
>  speed, I've just used cpufreq-set -u 2000MHz (or 1800MHz, or
>  1000MHz).  Max speed is 2200MHz.  (Newcastle core: from dmidecode:
>  ID: C0 0F 00 00 FF FB 8B 07 Signature: Extended Family 0, Model C,
>  Stepping 0)

I have tried powernowd on my A8V Deluxe with an AMD64 3200+ (Winchester
core).  When it runs at 1000MHz the core voltage is set to 1.1V, which I
suspect is too low for running stably. Maybe the motherboard gives a
too low voltage or the 1.1V is simply to low for my processor.

By manually setting the vcore in the bios I can run at 1.3V at 2000MHz
without any noticeable problems. The nominal value is 1.4 at 2000MHz,
1.35 at 1800MHz, and 1.1V at 1000MHz. I haven't found any way to adjust
these vcore settings, when running in Cool'n'Quiet mode.

I need to add that I have replaced the boxed fan (the mb handbook
states that QnQ only works with the boxed fan and heatsink). I am
controlling the CPU and chassis fan with the fancontrol script in the
lm-sensors package.

Anders