Re: CPU Frequency on default Sarge kernel

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Eduardo Costa Lisboa wrote:

Hi. I can't set the CPU frequency on my notebook. I am using the
default kernel, 2.6.8-11-amd64-generic.

I would like to know if is it possible to set the processor frequency
using cpufrequtils on the AMD64 processor.

yes, it is. You probably need to load the appropriate module, or (if you prefer) to compile a new kernel including it. The appropriate module to load depends on the processor you have, possible choices being

- powernow-k8 (for Athlon64, Turions, Opterons, 64bit AMD cpus in general)
- p4-clockmod (for Intel P4 with 64 bit extension)
- speedstep-centrino (I don't know what this is for, probably some 64 bit mobile Intel chip)
- acpi-cpufreq (generic driver using ACPI calls)

I don't know which ones are compiled in the default Debian generic kernels. If the module you need is not available in the kernel you are
running you will need to either find a precompiled kernel package which
includes them or compile your own (usually better if you are at ease with
it, since you can tailor the kernel to your needs)

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)