Re: Problem with lp and/or cups

On 9/28/05, Aaron M. Ucko <ucko@debian.org> wrote:
Sven Krahn <sven.krahn@gmail.com> writes:

> since I have upgraded to kernel 2.6.12 any print command (even something
> like 'lp /etc/motd') produces several pages of garbage. Booting into a
> 2.6.11 kernel printing is okay.
[...]
> In addition, the bootlog (dmesg) for 2.6.12 shows the following entries
> lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).
> lp0: ECP mode

I saw identical symptoms on my system when I had my parallel port
configured to use ECP mode, so this may well be the culprit; telling
the BIOS to limit the port to EPP mode resolved the lossage.  At the
time, I suspected some sort of hardware flakiness, but now I'm more
inclined to suspect a kernel bug.

Thank you Aaron, this indeed resolved my printing issues.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn