Re: Dupal Opteron on Sarge

Hi Steve,

not sure if anybody answered the question below. (see my comments)

> I'm thinking about purchasing a dual Opteron server to run on Sarge.
> This is only my second server purchase.  My first server runs Debian
> Woody on a single Petium 4, 2.8 GHz.
>
> Can someone give me an idea of what kind of performance gain I would
> see?  I've tried hunting around for benchmark comparisons but haven't
> had success finding any because the processors target much different
> markets.
>
> Now for a more Debian specific question.  I read the AMD 64 how-to at
> https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html.
>  They talk about "the quick way" of running 32-bit binaries on a 64
> bit system and installing a "Debian IA32 chroot system."
>
> Can someone tell me why I would do one over the other?

Sure. I am glad you asked ;-) You may find some applications (mostly
commercial) which are for now only available as 32 bit versions.

F.e. smaller  "Hosting" companies have to consider this when using from
the shelf software - (the bigger ones compile it themselves). So what I am
trying to say is. You "may" have a specific application which is not
available as a 64 bit version yet.

Best regards

Nils Valentin
Tokyo / Japan