Re: Dupal Opteron on Sarge

oh... as for performance increases...

pentium 4s use a 21 stage pipeline or something like that... so they
take approximately 21 clock cycles to get anything done.  AMD uses
about 7 stages (or something in that neighbourhood) so if you divide
2.8 by 21 and 2.0 (my Athlon64) by 7, you get a really interesting
breakdown.  You'll certainly find a HUGE increase in performance,
ESPECIALLY if you go dual-core.  As for dual-core and 64bit kernels
and the like... there was a few.  you'd be looking at the
amd64-generic-SMP kernels (I think)  the amd64 is for 64bit (x86_64)
and the generic is b/c I don't know if opterons are considered a k8
thing (I'd have to go check) and the SMP is to give you dual-core
action, so you can use the withering power now avaliable to you.  It's
soooooooooooooooooo cool... someday I'll get one... until then I just
annoy everyone with wordy descriptions of 'em.

and for those of you who're mentally screaming at my crude way of
benchmarking the two cpus, it's only for a ballpark comparison.  by no
means is that ENTIRELY accurate, and should NOT be treated as such.