Re: Unrar package ?

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 01:28 +0200, Jean-Christophe Montigny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to install the unrar package, but it didn't work... After
> looking at my 32bits sarge systems i found out the unrar package does
> exist, but it isn't available on amd64, i guess there's a problem
> compiling it on a 64 bits platform. I just wanted confirmation...
>
> So my next question is, is there a repository somewhere that lists
> non-compiled (or uncompilable) packages ? And/or a place where you can
> tell if you ever tried to make a 64 bits sarge package and succeeded ?
> Or do you need to contact the package manager directly?

I'm not sure if it's available in Sarge (I use amd64 Sid), but there is
the unrar-free package. It doesn't handle RAR 3.0 files however. If you
need to handle newer RAR files you'll need to get the free (as in beer)
proprietary, binary-only unrar utility from www.rarlabs.com. They do
have a native amd64 version that works fine on my system available for
download there. Look on the "Extras" page to find it. (It is NOT on the
Downloads page, that is the 32-bit shareware version of the full RAR
utility.)

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837