Re: compilers other than gcc

Basile STARYNKEVITCH <basile@starynkevitch.net> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> Does anyone have an idea of the list of [open-source] compilers
> producing amd64 binary (eventually thru assembly code) - like gcc does
> - which are not GCC? On x86, there are several others (for C, there is
> also tinycc at least). But it seems that on AMD64 (ie x86_64) there is
> much less choice. So far, I know of Ocaml, maybe freepascal... (SBCL
> does not count, since it don't produce an executable).

Hi,

I'm not sure whether these count, but there are a number of gcc
frontends. Some of these are included in the debian distribution but
not all. For example GNU Modula-2 builds on Debian Pure64 (in fact the
Debian Pure64 is the development platform of choice for this compiler
as it forces a separation of int from void *.

Here is the entry from the comp.lang.modula2 faq:

There is a GNU Modula-2 project which is alive and well and its web
site is:
http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/Glamorgan/gaius/web/GNUModula2.html
and it can also be found from GCC web site:
http://gcc.gnu.org/frontends.html. The current release status of GNU
Modula-2 is 0.49 and it implements the PIM variant of Modula-2.  It
provides a set of PIM libraries and also installs the ULM PIM
libraries. It is sufficiently stable to build on Sparc Solaris in 64
bits and also GNU/Linux on Opteron/Athlon in 64 bits. It also builds
on BSD and GNU/Linux on the x86 in 32 bits.  Its aim is to be both ISO
and PIM Modula-2 compliant.

regards,
Gaius