Re: SmartLink drivers and slmodemd for amd64?

On Monday 05 September 2005 14:19, Michelasso wrote:
> I have tried to write to smartlink to ask them if they plan to release
> in the future a version of their modem drivers and daemon (slmodems,
> without it it seems that I cannot use the internal modem of my laptop
> even if a driver for it is present in the kernel, snd__atiixp_modem)
> compatible with amd64
> However, after some days, I have received this email from the
> postmaster of my provider:
>
>  These recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server:
> info@smartlink.com; Failed; 4.4.7 (delivery time expired)
>
> Has anybody been able to contact them before and ask for this?
> Is somebody else developing a slmodemd for amd64?

Last time I checked, the SmartLink modem drivers were distributed under a BSD
licence  {which explicitly includes the right to distribute source code}  but
without said source code.  If someone out there has the inclination and the
time, they would be ENTIRELY WITHIN THEIR RIGHTS to decompile, disassemble,
reverse-engineer or otherwise attempt to discover the source code -- which as
a bonus could then be distributed as Free Software, since it is BSD licenced.

At any rate, given the lack of response to a polite request, such a course of
action sounds very much like Reasonable Force.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk