64-bit java plugin (or lack thereof)

I've been struggling with getting a java plugin working in my 64-bit
firefox. It might well be an impossible task at this time, but I wanted
to post here and see if anybody has had any success. Otherwise, this
message might be able to save users some time trying things that don't work.

I'm running pure64 Sid.

My first stop was plugindoc.mozdev.org to see where to download a JRE.
http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java

That page lists JREs from Sun, IBM, and Blackdown:
http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=jre-1.5.0_04-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/linux140/
http://www.blackdown.org/java-linux/java2-status/jdk1.4-status.html

The Sun JRE doesn't have a plugin at this time:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=568127&tstart=105

Neither does the JRE from IBM, though I haven't been able to find any
further information about that (possibly because having to give IBM a
bunch of personal information just to find a download is very annoying).
For reference, the file I downloaded is
IBMJava2-JAVACOMM-AMD64-142.x86_64.tgz

So, onward to Blackdown which, conveniently enough, has debs:
http://mirrors.ibiblio.org/pub/mirrors/blackdown/debian/
(the current version is 1.4.2.02-1)

I installed the JRE deb without any problems but had mixed results when
testing the plugin in firefox.

(1)
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
The embedded applet says "You are using an older version" and asks me to
get the latest version. Then it shows some system information and has a
weird little dancing figure. I don't know what it's supposed to do, but
java_vm is running ok.

(2)
http://www.bodo.com/javame.htm
The wiggly scrolling text in this applet says I'm "fully java enabled",
though the animation has a slight tendency to stutter. Again, I don't
know if this is working properly.

(3)
http://games.yahoo.com/games/downloads/tx.html
This one makes firefox segfault immediately.

Since Blackdown java is crashing, it seems I'm out of luck. I've looked
through the debian java faq:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-java-faq/
...but there doesn't seem to be anything else that provides a java
plugin. `apt-file search libjavaplugin_oji.so' turns up nothing.

I know I could go back to running a 32-bit firefox in a chroot, but I'd
rather not. If anybody else knows more, please let me know.

Thanks,
Corey