Re: problem with firefox and mozilla

Harald Wenninger wrote:

Hi,

I have problems with mozilla+firefox. I am using the unstable
distribution.
Every time I want to start firefox or mozilla, no window is opened. The
.mozilla-dir and its subdirectories get created, though. There's no
error displayed in the terminal from which I start the browsers.
Does anybody know somethin about this problem?
I noticed such a problem. Firefox did not start for _new_ users using icewm.
The error is in firefox (or some library),
and the workaround is this:

For each user that cannot get firefox going:
1. log in as that user running X
2. $ xhost +
(Yes, disable access control!)
3. start firefox which will now work
4. close firefox
5. $ xhost -
(Normal access control again.)

Firefox will now work.
Firefox does something stupid and mistakenly thinks it is being denied
access to the X display.  Let it run once without access control, and
it'll save something to the users .mozilla/ that makes it
work the next times.

The permanent fix is:
$ reportbug firefox
And complain loudly about this idiocy.  (Check to see if the bug is
reported already.)  If it is not, report it and make sure to get all
details about error messages and such.  If it _is_ reported, just
add your details and opinions to the existing report.

Helge Hafting