Re: more weird apt - bzip2.

Chris Wakefield wrote:
> My system is sick.   For a month now, I haven't been able to successfully
> update or upgrade, now  I can't install anything at all now:
> Can anyone suggest some kind of fix?
> Preparing to replace bzip2 1.0.2-8 (using .../bzip2_1.0.2-8_amd64.deb) ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/bzip2.prerm: line 7:  6745 Illegal instruction
> install-docs -r bzip2
> dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 132

Hmm...  'install-docs' is a perl script.  Is perl working on your
system?

  perl -e 0
  install-docs

Neither of those should have any output.  So errors from those may
point to something.  The following should list some status output.

  install-docs -s bzip2

But doc-base is not required to be installed.  If the problem is
something with doc base and not perl then I would try removing it.
There are some packages that depend upon it so we should use apt to
remove those too, if that seems reasonable.

  apt-get remove doc-base

Or if that fails because of the current problem:

  dpkg --remove doc-base

I am guessing something is wrong with perl on your system and
reinstalling it might be best.  But you will probably have to clear
your current problem first.

Bob