Re: DMA issue in 2.6.12 ???

On Wed, Aug 17, 2005 at 01:06:30PM -0500, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
> I ran into an interesting DMA issue in 2.6.12 vs. 2.6.11:
>
> First some info on the system I'm running the latest and greatest sid on:
>
>   Asus A8V Deluxe
>   AMD Athlon64 3000+
>   1G dual channel DDR (2x512MB)
>   /dev/sda = Maxtor 6B200M0
>   /dev/hda = Sony DVD-ROM DDU1622
>   /dev/hdb = WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0
>   /dev/hdc = Maxtor 6B200R0
>   /dev/hdd = WDC WD1200JB-00EVA0
>
>   /dev/sda has / and swap
>   /dev/hdb and /dev/hdd are in /dev/md0 as raid-1
>
> When using 2.6.11-9 everything is ok and as expected: The DMA flags are set
> when running `cat /proc/ide/hd[bcd]/settings`, running `hdparm -T` gives
> 1800+ MB/sec, and running `hdparm -t` gives 45MB/sec for /dev/md0 and 54MB/sec
> for /dev/hdc.  So far so good.
>
> However, when running 2.6.12-1 things are not as expected: The DMA flags are
> not set, and running hdparm I get much lower numbers.  And I get
>
>     > hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdc
>
>     /dev/hdc:
>     setting using_dma to 1 (on)
>     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>     using_dma    =  0 (off)
>
> When booting nothing in the log files indicates something's wrong or whatever.
>
> Anybody any thoughts?

Somehow the new kernel is loading ide-generic first and it takes control
of the ide interfaces and of course doesn't allow dma at all since that
is a chipset specific feature.

lsmod should show which driver has how many uses of it.  dmesg should
also show which driver grabbed each device.

the initrd tools has loaded ide-generic too early in the past, as has
some driver dependancy bugs once upon a time too.