How do I play a DVD??????

Hi,

I want to play a DVD using mplayer. I installed mplayer and libdvdcss
from the marillat archives. But for some reason I cannot run my dvd.

I get the folling error: "Couldn't open DVD device:/dev/dvd". That
device is actually available and is a symbolic link to /dev/hdc, which
is my DVD recoreder/player.

Changing the device in "preferences" to /dev/hdc results in the same
error.

Changing the device to /media/cdrom results in the message "Can't open
VMG info" and the following oputput in my terminal:
"....
Playing dvd://1.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.8 for DVD access
libdvdread: Attempting to use device /dev/hdc mounted on /media/cdrom0
for CSS authentication
libdvdread: Could not open /dev/hdc with libdvdcss.
libdvdread: Can't open /dev/hdc for reading
libdvdread: Device /dev/hdc inaccessible, CSS authentication not
available.
Reading disc structure, please wait...
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
Can't open VMG info!"

The user is a member of the cdrom group ( runnning mplayer as root doe
not change the results)

Anyone any idea how to play a DVD on Debain AMD64?

Groeten,

Joost