Re: libc6 update problems

Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 06:20:36AM +0300, Nigel Ridley wrote:
>> Grahame White wrote:
>> > I just tried doing an aptitude upgrade but I'm getting the following
>> > errors:
>> >
>> > Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
>> > dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.5-3_amd64.deb
>> > (--unpack):
>> >  trying to overwrite `/usr/lib64', which is also in package xmms-kde
>
> This looks like a bug in the xmms-kde package, but libc6 really
> shouldn't be adding that either.

It is normal for libc6 to provide the /usr/lib64 symlink.

What I don't get is why this creates a conflict.

Are you updating from a libc6 version that didn't have the /usr/lib64
symlink and your /lib64 is a directory (created by xmms-kde)?

Anyway, xmms-kde is clearly broken. The cause for this will be most
likely the braindead test for /lib64/libc* done by kde automake makros
to detect 64bit biarch systems.

> I suggest you remove xmms-kde for now.

Try removing xmms-kde, updating, installing xmms-kde. I think that
error should not appear even though xmms-kde is broken. After that
even reinstalling libc6 should go flawlessly I think.

>> DPkg
>> {
>>    // Probably don't want to use force-downgrade..
>>       Options {"--force-overwrite";}
>> }
>>
>> Then, whenever the situation arises, dpkg will automatically overwrite
>> the common file.
>
> Please don't do that.
>
> Kurt

MfG