Re: nvu HTML editor

A J Stiles wrote:

>I tried to build nvu.  After locating and installing various -dev packages
>{Why, in 2005, do we -still- need to separate these files?  Aren't
>disk-space-challenged users savvy enough to just delete the unnecessary files
>for themselves?  It's enough to make me think of going back to Gentoo}  I
>managed to persuade it to go all the way through the build process.  Lots of
>warnings from the compiler:  cast from pointer to integer of different size,
>comparisons between signed and unsigned integers, indirect jmp without `*'.
>
>Running the program causes a segmentation fault.
>
>Has anyone managed to get nvu to work?  What need I do?

Nvu is already in sid amd64, but that one segfaults too, so you're not
the only one with this problem.  Which version of gcc are you using?
IIRC, all mozilla apps segfault when built with gcc-3.3, the ones in the
archive are built with gcc-3.4 or later.  I am trying to build nvu from
debian sources with gcc-4.0 right now.

Regarding -dev packages, these will be very necessary for multiarch, as
they are generally architecture-independent files and have to be kept
separate so packages from different architectures won't conflict.  So
while they may not be very necessary right now, they will be soon.

-- Alexander Rapp