Re: Sarge installer+ Kernel AMD64

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 12:55:48AM +0200, anto1945@infinito.it wrote:
> 2 week ago I tried also to install a DVD of Sarge release
>
> - if I type "linux"...it install kernel 2.4-i386
> - if I type "expert" I can choose kernel 2.6-AMD64
>   but in this case is not possible  the first reboot; the message is

Sounds like the i386 version.  I have no idea it deals with the amd64
kernel it ships.  When I installed i386 on an amd64, I just used the 386
kernel initially and upgraded the kernel afterwards (and at least then I
had a working kernel to fall back on).  Seemed safer to me.

>  pivot_root failed
>  dev/console no such device
>  kernel panic
>
> in GRUB I can read root=/dev/hda1 while I use S-ATA drive
>   changing GRUB with root=/dev/sda1 don't effect
>
> Only typing "linux26" at DVD boot I can obtain /dev/sda1 in GRUB menu
> and a bootable system (at 32 bit)
>
> An installer bug?

Perhaps, or a problem with the way the 2.6 kernel for amd64 and your
hardware.  If you are going to pick a 2.6 kernel to install, you should
at least use linux26 or expert26 when booting the installer since sata
is treated very differently by 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.  Or you could use
the amd64 pure instead unless you want i386 as your main system (as I
wanted on one machine here).