Re: SATA install - AMD64 - success story

On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:04:06PM -0400, Jeff Breidenbach wrote:
> Yes, if I manually run insmod on libata.ko and ahci.ko. Otherwise
> the disk is not found.

modprobe ahci should probably have been enough.  insmod is a bit of a
pain to use manually.

Hmm, I wonder what I would have to do to make that part work
automatically.

I assume this is after you changed the bios back to ahci mode rather
than compatibility mode.

> My lspci data has been reported through regular channels
> and there is also a copy at http://www.jab.org/install-report

OK, I will try and see which of those IDs is the AHCI controller.

> No idea.

A few people asked about I2O support.  Hopefully someone will test it.

> My network interface is identified as Yukon something - don't
> know if that is what you are asking for.

Does your system use PCI express?  If so it is quite possible you have
one of the PCIe Yukon chips.  Well as long as it works for you I guess
it doesn't matter how it is connected.

> My only comment is this .iso should be linked from the main AMD64
> webpage - http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64

I will probably move it to a server with more bandwidth first. :)

> >ahci has been included in sata-modules by kernel-wedge if it's available
> >since May of this year, and is in the standard installer images using
> >2.6.11 and the not-yet-uploaded ones using 2.6.12.
>
> Or maybe this one should be linked instead. The only "standard" installer
> iso for Debian AMD64 I've found so far has a 2.6.8 kernel.

There are installer images for testing/unstable at least as far as I can
tell on http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/ or at least it has
things with amd64 in the name.  I haven't tried one of those in a few
months.

Of course it appears sarge doesn't use kernel wedge from May, but rather
an earlier one which is what I have been trying to stick to to be as
compatible with sarge amd64 as possible.