Re: kernel 2.6.11-2.6.12 freeze

On 25 Jul 2005, Jan Berndt wrote:
> Are you using powernowd? As for me the nvidia-driver and powernowd won't work
> together. After removing powernowd everthing works fine (For two days now!).

	Actually, I experienced freezes with AMD64 using any
frequency scaling in the kernel.  I was using cpufreqd, but even
without a userland daemon and just toggling things myself via
echo, I could get my system to lock up.  I was testing things
using 32-bit mplayer in a chroot to play a Real Audio stream.

	As soon as I took out all frequency scaling of my kernel,
the system was rock solid.  This was all done from a console
without loading my nVidia module and no X running, so I can say
with a decent amount of certainty that there may be problems in
general with frequency scaling and AMD64 kernels.

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
4475 Carter Creek Parkway                           nipsy@bitgnome.net

---begin random quote of the moment---
"Zack, living in truth feels good.  And it sticks in your memory.
Like, it's a truism with acid heads that you can never truly
remember what tripping feels like.  You think you do, but every
time you trip it's like waking up all over again, you recognize
the head coming on and you dig that your memories of it were
shadows."

 -- Wesley George, the last great dope wizard from Spider
    Robinson's "Satan's Children", 1979 (appearing in _By Any
    Other Name_, 2001)
----end random quote of the moment----