Re: Segate and Silicon 3112

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005 at 05:06:57PM +0530, Chetan Thapliyal wrote:
> Anybody using Debian amd64 with Segate HDD and Silicon 3112 SATA
> controller? If yes, then please assist me. Can I do this without
> recompiling the kernel. Presently I don't have any linux installation on
> my machine. Any sort of help will be highly appreciated.

Sorry, I use WD drives with my Sil3112, which works fine.  I won't touch
seagate disks at the moment, especially given what I read from the linux
ide guy.  It seemed that in his opinion the first seagate sata drives
had bugs in the sata implementation that were bad enough that they
should never have released it.  Not sure if they have gotten it right
since, but it didn't make me want to run out and buy one.

Does it detect the drives at all?  Do you have bios software raid
disabled (like you should normally)?  Does it detect the controller?