Re: SATA install - AMD64 - success story

Jo Shields wrote:
> Jörg Ebeling wrote:
>
>> Hi Joe,
>>

>> don't wanna bother you, BUT:
>>
>>> I've really no idea where people get all their SATA issues from, it's
>>> not had issues for me since Woody 3.0r2 was current.
>>

>> SATA is NOT running very well !
>> I'm running this AMD64 Debian since about 6 (or more) months on
>> different AMD64 MoBos and I'm really no newbe.
>> I've some non-working SATA (devices) too, but it doesn't matter me
>> really.
>> However whenever I see a new version, module, trick, tip or whatever I
>> check it if it's working now.
>> In my point of view (and this isn't based on much know how in this
>> issue), all my SATA problems are coming whenever there's "NForce 3"
>> stuff on the Board.
>>
>> However, what I wanna say is:
>> If I'm not able to wait 6 more months I'll buy me a new MoBo, but
>> others don't like to go that way of problem solution.
>> They really have problems with SATA, they really miss their devices !
>>

>> Cya
>>  JEBs
>>

> This office system has been running AMD64 Debian since March, running
> all the while from a Silicon Image SATA controller (0000:02:0d.0 Unknown
> mass storage controller: Silicon Image, Inc. SiI 3512
> [SATALink/SATARaid] Serial ATA Controller (rev 01)) on a Gigabyte
> nForce3 board - I had an identical system beforehand for a few more
> months. My home system has been running AMD64 Debian since I got it a
> few months ago, which uses a Via K8T890's onboard SATA support.
>
> I really haven't had SATA difficulties since I tried a 2.6.0-test3
> kernel with a Promise 20376 controller. I'm not trying to be contrary, I
> simply haven't ever experienced issues that people report with similar
> hardware, which confuses me greatly.
>
> --Jo Shields

There is a problem with Seagate hard drives:
http://home-tj.org/m15w/

"It's basically because of faulty SATA implementation of the affected
seagate hard drives combined with standard-compliant but peculiar
behavior of silicon image controllers."

I ended up buying a Samsung hdd instead -- works great.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
It's not a problem -- it's a learning opportunity.
--

I AM Bible Studies and Resources
http://www.i-amfaithweb.net

Messianic E-Cards.com