Re: How to get SATA support in Debian

Chetan Thapliyal wrote:
> Hi list
>
> I have Silicon 3112 SATA controller on my board which is not detecting
> while installation. I guess it has no support in Debian. Can anybody
> suggest me the way to install Debian on it? I am using the latest iso
> image (debian-31r0a-amd64-binary-1.iso) downloaded from debian.org.

Boot in expert mode, run through the first menu steps, stop
before entering the partitioning menu, switch to another
console, and try to manually load sata_sil ("modprobe sata_sil").
Then go back to the installer, and check whether your disk is
displayed by the partitioner.

Later, when your kernel is going to be installed, mkinitrd
should recognize that sata_sil has been loaded to manage
your boot partition. It will add sata_sil to the initrd.img
automatically.

You should post the pci id and the vendor string of your
sata device on the debian-boot mailing list.

Good luck

Harri