Re: Mostly 32-bit possible?

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 02:57:44PM -0600, Gary Hennigan wrote:
> I'm considering the purchase of a dual-opteron rig and have some
> questions. In general I don't care about anything being 64-bit, except
> my own applications. These are scientific applications developed using
> MPICH (g++-3.3 + MPICH MPI libraries). Is it feasible/possible to just
> install the 32-bit "testing" release, for example, and still be able
> to compile and run my own code in 64-bit mode?
>
> My main concern with going full-blown 64 is some commercial apps that
> I rely on that currently don't have 64-bit builds.

I have an athlon64 running sarge 32bit, but with the amd64 kernel and a
chroot with full 64bit sarge in it.  Works great for me, with the small
issues to deal with for things like iptables and other things that talk
to the kernel directly which for some reason are bit width dependant in
the kernel interface.  Running iptables from the chroot works fine of
course.

Very stable for me this way.  I do have to put linux32 in front of some
commands to trick things that look for the system architecture into
believeing it is i686 and not x86_64 since that can confuse many things
when you are running 32bit software.