Re: e-machines M6809 + sarge

On 18 Jul 2005, Brendon J. Colby wrote:
> I've been searching for a while trying to figure out this problem. I'm
> trying to get the AMD64 build of Sarge installed on my emachines m6809
> laptop. I can boot the AMD64 Sarge network install just fine and get
> through the inital installation, but when I reboot to finish the rest of
> the install, it hangs at the PCI hotplug section. It dumps out a bunch
> of APIC related errors I think (I'm at work, so I don't have the exact
> errors).
>
> I know there have been multiple complaints about the APIC stuff causing
> problems and e-machines / Gateway refuses to offer a BIOS update. I
> can't find any of the un-authorized BIOS updates either (some people had
> luck updating to the m6811 bios). I've also tried giving the noapic boot
> options to no avail.
>
> Has anyone gotten Sarge installed on this laptop?

	The site used to be:
---
http://www.rmecc.com/~v2/em/

but doesn't appear to be available any longer unfortunately.
E-machines has the firmware download available still through
their site for the M6805 which should work for your laptop, but
the standard warnings and disclaimers apply here since I do not
own the M6809 but the M6805.
---
http://downloads.emachines.com/bios/M6805_Shadow-K8.exe

	As to whether the original flaky E-machines BIOS is
causing your APIC problems or not, do you have Windows XP
installed with SP2 also?  If so, just unplugging the AC
connection would deadlock my M6805 with the old BIOS whereas it
works without problems on the new BIOS.  And after I updated to
the newer BIOS (using the above installer from E-machines), I
could boot Knoppix without any problems and didn't have to pass
any special options anymore to get a full boot to occur.

	Anyway, sorry I cannot be any more specific than that.
I'm currently only running Debian AMD64 on my desktop system even
though I have this fine AMD64 laptop.  I'm keeping an eye on the
new Turion laptops, but that will have to wait for now.  If you
need any help from me, let me know.  I'm on the laptop right at
the moment, but if you want to compare BIOS versions or some
such, just let me know.  I'll just need to reboot to get the
string.

	Good luck!

--
Mark Nipper                                                e-contacts:
4475 Carter Creek Parkway                           nipsy@bitgnome.net

---begin random quote of the moment---
"There is infinite hope, but not for us." -- Kafka
----end random quote of the moment----