Re: Upgrading to current udev is disastrous if not on kernel 2.6.12

On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 08:34:00AM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org> writes:
> > On Sat, Jul 16, 2005 at 04:13:36PM +1000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > Hmm. The preinst only complains if you had < 0.060 before.
> > I upgraded to that earlier in July but never rebooted;
> > now I have 0.062. I guess this is bad, so I'll try to avoid
> > rebooting.
>
> There might be a bug left there. I think one of the versions since
> 0.060 didn't have the right check so you could upgrade to that without
> the right kernel and then upgrade to the current one without check.
>
> I will ask the maintainer about this. Thanks for noticing that gap.

I sent a followup to #317720 about this.

I think if you have >= 060 you're already hosed. So the logic is that
upgrading to 062 won't do you any additional harm. However it would
still be nice if it took the opportunity to warn me that my system is
currently broken.

Hamish