Re: New 32bit packages for amd64

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 20:40 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 18:22 +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >> Hi,
> > [snip]
> >
> > 37.5 cent packages?  ;)
> >

> > (Or is that solely an Americanism?)
>
> I don't get that. Must be an Americanism.

This hearkens back to when Spanish gold coins were common currency
in the colonies.  Their value was based on the gold, and
not the good faith and credit of Spain, and they were easily split
into 8 equal parts.  Each "bit" was thus == 1/8th of a "dollar".

"2 bits" is still[0] in slang use to mean a quarter dollar, and
also a slur to mean anything cheap.  A "2 bit pair of shoes", for
example.

Thus, 3 bits == 37.5 cents.  And in this case, it was just humor.

[0] But fading fast, since not much is worth a quarter anymore.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"Nothing is so admirable in politics as a short memory."
John Kenneth Galbraith