Re: multiarch/bi-arch status (ETA) question

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 05:26:46PM +0200, Thomas Steffen wrote:

> No, for all practical purposes you do not have that. I could not get a
> single third part binary to work without a chroot. And recommending a
> chroot is just a different way of saying that it is not supported.

Well, Vmware runs just fine without any kind of chroot. OOo also runs
fine if you just _install_ it in a chroot but call it from the outside
(well, you need to set a bunch of environment variables that point to
the 32-bit gconv modules, 32-bit GTK theme, 32-bit GTK & Pango modules
etc., and some bind mounts for /etc/openoffice and /usr/lib/openoffice
that cannot be relocated by environment variables).

The only remaining problem is a "Locale not supported by the C library,
falling back to C" message that I could not track down so far.

So 32-bit apps seem to work without a chroot; you only need the chroot
for package management.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences