Re: ethernet and wireless network settings on Asus A8V

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 01:05:04AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I recently got the wireless card working on my Asus A8V motherboard.
> (Using the 64 bit rt2500 driver). So now I have two NICS - ethernet
> (eth0) and the wireless (ra0). How do I tell which one is being used
> for what? Both are connecting to a YahooBB (ISP) modem / router (56MB
> ADSL) which gives them separate external IP addresses. I want to use
> the ethernet to server web pages, webdav folders and for general web
> surfing and downloading.   I want to keep the wireless local and use
> it only to ssh in from my laptop when I am at home. (Laptop of course
> uses the same wireless network at home.)
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set this up? Right now I think that ALL of
> the action is happening on ra0 and eth0 is idle. How do I get it to
> default to eth0?
>
> After I get this sorted out I may want to set up the computer as a
> wireless access point. Can anyone point me in the right direction for
> how to set this up?

If you connect two network ports to the same subnet with different IPs,
then the route order in the routing table essentially decides which to
use when sending.

If you want to control data flow outgoing you will have to get into much
more complex packet tagging and routing using iptables and ip route.  It
can be done, but it's not trivial.  Incoming traffic should go to the
device based on IP of course.

In general I wouldn't connect two ports to the same subnet.

I would personally assign a local 192.168.x.* subnet locally and run
that for wireless instead and keep the ethernet for external.  Then
again why would you have wireless on a machine that has an ethernet link
to the outside unless it was working as the access point?  It doesn't
make any sense.  Maybe I am not understanding your setup correctly.

Setting up a wireless accesspoint on a PC requires that the wireless
card have firmware that there is AP software for linux available for,
which as far as I know is a very short list of cards.

A simpler solution I know some people are using is to get a very cheap
wireless access point and just place it somewhere, connected to power
(but no physical network link) and then have your firewall/router machine
use a wireless card to connect to the AP and have other clients connect
to the AP and all just have a local network through the AP that is just
sitting there connecting them all to each other and controlling access
to the network using WPA or whatever you want.  The firewall machine
should probably provide dhcp for the network using whatever local subnet
you device to use (192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.* are probably the most
commonly picked).