Re: notebook choice advice...

Hello,

I have an acer wlmi 5024.

- installer with 2.6.8 took ~1h to format the drive: atiixp ide chipset
  is not recognised -> no DMA (formatting 80GB in PIO4 mode is _slow_).
- apic throws lots of errors, needs to boot with noapic
- acpi is pretty broken: only ac, lid and pwr buttons work, thermal
  zones and battery status do not. With a patched 2.6.11+acpi the
  thermal zones work, but still no batitery. 2.6.12+acpi breaks thermal
  again. At least the display backlight gets powered off when closing
  the lid.

- the keyboard gets lost during boot, and reappears after pressing some
  keys while closing and reopening the lid a couple of times (this did
  not happen with 2.6.8).

- the psmouse module needs to be rmmodded and modprobed again after
  the keyboard was found.

- 1280x800 15.4" display has 75dpi (no magnifying glasses needed ;-),
  and works like a charm with proprietaray ati drivers. Not tested
  3D games yet, but according to glxinfo it should be accelerated.
- gbit lan works
- sound works
- cpufreq works (800, 1600, 1800MHz states)
- the touchpad works good with synaptic driver.

- wavelan: broadcom unknown device, not tested yet due to missing
  infrastructure. Will presumably need a windos x64 dll loaded by
  ndiswrapper.

- the dvd rw did not like the DVDs I tried to watch with it, xine had
  problems decrypting some of the VOBs on the disk (error in libcss).

not tested yet:

writing DVDs, irda, bluetooth, svideo-out, usb, pcmcia, firewire, card
reader (damn thing has no CF slot), internal modem

from a users point of view, this box is pretty broken and should just
be returned to the vendor.

from my point of view, I am having fun fixing this, but some things are
really annoying and I hope to find fixes soon.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:50:09PM +0200, Giacomo Mulas wrote:
> 	My old laptop just died on me, I have to quickly get a new one, I
> want an amd64 based one and have basically two available choices: an Acer
> Aspire 5024WLMI and an Asus A770KLH. The Acer sports slightly faster
> processor and ethernet and an ATI Radeon X700 graphics card, wheres the
> Asus has an nVidia GeForce 6200. Does anybody have any first-hand
> knowledge about whether these laptops or at least their graphic cards work
> with the Debian amd64 port?

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--