Re: notebook choice advice...

Hi Giacomo,

My old laptop just died on me, I have to quickly get a new one, I want an amd64 based one and have basically two available choices: an Acer Aspire 5024WLMI and an Asus A770KLH. The Acer sports slightly faster processor and ethernet and an ATI Radeon X700 graphics card, wheres the Asus has an nVidia GeForce 6200. Does anybody have any first-hand knowledge about whether these laptops or at least their graphic cards work with the Debian amd64 port?

Graphic should work on both.

You will experience problems with the IrDa chip on the Acer when you use 64-bit Linux. The chip is on a ISA-to-PCI bridge and ISA is no more supported in 64-bit Linux.

The Acer Notebook has - as far as I know a broadcom wireless chip. I don't know whether it works.

You should ask the debian-laptop mailinglist for details.

Greetings, Tobias