Re: Advice sought on moving to AMD64

El lun, 20-06-2005 a las 00:30 +0100, Rory Campbell-Lange escribió:
> How hard is it to use Debian AMD64?
>
> I run about 15 Debian servers for various clients. These are all 32 bit
> machines, mainly dual Xeons or Pentium IVs; we use Debian on our Apple
> ibooks too. All of our machines run stable + a few things from testing +
> occasionally something from unstable.
>
> We are getting ready to purchase a machine for a web application
> prototype. I won't go into the nitty gritty of what the machine is to be
> used for, but suffice it to say that we want good Postgresql 8.x read
> and write performance and enquiries on the postgres list brought us
> here.
>
> Basically, I'm keen not to make a lot of work for our team by supporting
> unusual hardware. However, we are keen to experience the benefits of
> using 64bit! Does Debian AMD64 have installers, eg netinstallers? Does
> AMD64 have stable, testing and unstable package trees?

I'm using a server (opteron) with a batch java app and postgresql
The perfomance is optimal, better than Xeon and P IV
I'm using sarge and it's very stable (no problem reported for the last 4
months) and the developers of the app are very satisfied
I'd installed at first time postgres 7.4 and later I'd compiled a 8.0
whitout problem
I  hope this help you

> Thanks for any comments,
you'r wellcome