Re: Migrating a server to Debian amd64?

On 10301 March 1977, Yassen Damyanov wrote:

> Couple of years experience with Gentoo but none with Debian. Need to
> migrate an AMD-64 server running Gentoo Linux to Debian AMD-64.
> Services:
>   apache2,
>   postfix + filters,
>   ftp over TLS (vsftpd or proftpd),
>   IMAPS (Courier-IMAP)
>   SVN
>
> My questions:
> (1) Is the AMD64 port of Debian usable for a production server?

Yes.

> (3) If (1) is to be answered with a definite 'yes', then what would you
> recommend as steps to *remotely* convert the gentoo box into Debian amd64?

Fresh install of course.
For remote: debootstrap a small thing in a swap partition, reboot in
that, debootstrap the real system on your root. (Or if you have a backup
system bootable like some hosters offer use that).
Search with google, you arent the first to switch from [other_distri] to
Debian.

--
bye Joerg
<elmo> I'm James Troup, long term source of all evil in Debian. you may