Re: Realplayer in chroot not automatically opened

On 5/18/05, Tobias Krais <krais@bats.ch> wrote:

> I installed Realplayer in 32bit chroot environment successfully. I now
> want to listen to webradio, e.g. BBC. For this I have to "download" and
> then manually open Realplayer and opening the /tmp/redirect.lsc file. Is
> it possible to configure 64bit Firefox, that it is able to open the file
> with Realplayer automatically?
>
> Or is it even possible to use the 32bit Realplayer-Plugin in 64bit Firefox?
>
> Or is it wiser to install 32bit Firefox?

This is what I did to enable streaming media (all in 32bit chroot) a
couple of months ago, possibly this works for you as well:

In order to enable streaming video (Windows Media and Real Media) I
did the following in the chroot environment (chroot is required
because (1) w32codecs is not (yet) available for amd64 and (2) I use
Firefox within the chroot only due to other plugins as well):

Install w32codecs. These obviously are not available yet for amd64.

Install a xine-based player (e.g. xine, totem-xine as a Gnome
application, or Kaffeine). There are others as well. I decided for
Kaffeine.

Start Firefox, point to the streaming link and choose "Open with...".
Enter /usr/bin/kaffeine as the path and check the clickbox to use this
path as the default.

Alternatively, you can install mozplugger (in the chroot environment).
Configuration is done in /etc/mozpluggerrc to set the default
mime-types for various applications. I found a good description at
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-3450.html.

Note: I found that mplayer (respectively, kplayer etc.) are able to
play wmv and rm files as well (e.g from your hard drive), however, are
not able to handle the pointer files (wvx and ram) like they are used
on most websites offering streaming content. If anybody knows a
solution for mplayer-based players please let me know.

A good streaming site for testing is http://www.apple.com/trailers.

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn