Re: non-free package archive

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 11:14 -0500, Adam M wrote:
> On 5/12/05, Kaare Hviid <ukh@id.cbs.dk> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 01:13 -0500, Adam M wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have compiled a list of packages in non-free that can be included in
> > > Amd64's non-free. A few days ago I have posted the entire list of good
> > > and bad packages on debian-devel[1]. They can also be found at,
> > >
> > > http://people.debian.org/~adamm/non-free/
> > >
> > > bad.txt - not distributable
> > > good.txt - distributable
> > >
> > > I think non-free is important to be part of Amd64 port for Sarge due
> > > to a few important packages like, like RFCs and the nvidia drivers.
> > >
> > > Now that I have reviewed these licenses, will Amd64 port carry
> > > non-free in Sarge?
> > >
> > > - Adam
> >
> > I just finished my own review of the non-free packages.
> >     Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to tell you what to
> > do, I just thought I'd give it a shot and have a look at the non-free
> > licenses.  Also, I'm by no means a lawyer, nor am I a DD - I'm just a
> > layman.  I've used the Packages list of a current i386 *sarge*  box, and
> > had invaluable help from http://nonfree.alioth.debian.org/.  My criteria
>
> I didn't use nonfree.alioth.debian.org and I didn't use Packages. I
> used current Sources and read the dreaded debian/*copyright files from
> each of the source packages. It might have been better if you raised
> some questions about why I put something in good.txt and other stuff
> in bad.txt and then point to relevant sections of the licenses I
> looked at [1]. Trying to match the binary<->source can be tricky.

I wasn't aware that you had done a proper audit of the licenses when
I embarked on looking at it.  Once finished, I found your mail, and
rather than throwing away my own list, I replied you, thinking someone
might want a second opinion.  I have also read each of the dreaded
debian/copyright files, (which nonfree.alioth.debian.org links to) and
have tried to find further information when it was lacking.  Our
findings match up pretty good anyway, with the exception of libforms-doc
(that I find clearly non-distributable), and moria and trn4 (where I
didn't find anything compelling hindering distribution).

> Anyway, I just want to look at the nvidia package where you said,
>
> >      "Notwithstanding the foregoing terms of
> >       Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the
> >      Linux operating system may be copied and redistributed, provided
> >       that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
> >       (except for unzipping of compressed files)." Debian, and
> >       apparently Ubuntu, have special permission for distributing.
> >       The intent is probably only to deny OEMs to rebundle the stuff
> >       without nVidia's permission.
>
> What I think nVidia does is use the same license for distribution for
> Linux, Windows and Mac but they have an exception for Linux
> distributions that allow redistribution of their binary drivers. The
> binary drivers themselves are not permitted to be modified (how? with
> a hex editor? :). GPLed stuff of course can be modified.

I found it unclear if distributing it in a .deb was allowed, as it
could be seen as of a form of modification beyond unzipping of
compressed files.  As such, I also marked it with a "?", denoting that I
couldn't tell if it was "good" or "bad".  Given nVidia's presence in the
Linux desktop market, I'd be surprised if they wouldn't *promote*
distribution of ready-to-go driver packages for the Debian amd64 sarge
port.  Didn't they even sponsor Gentoo with amd64 hardware to get going?

> If nothing else, I think the nVidia drivers and the RFCs must be
> distributed by Amd64 for Sarge if the port is going to have some
> penetration into the destrop market. If there is no nvidia drivers,
> people will try to install them with the nvidia installer and butcher
> their installations. They will then complain that Amd64 Sarge is crap
> because they cannot even get their FX6666 card to work!

I certainly agree - the number of consumer desktops with the amd64
nVidia combination is staggering to the brink of almost becoming
synonymous in the consumer electronics shops.

-ukh