Re: Debian AMD64 Archive Move

On Sunday 08 May 2005 4:23pm, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Ed Tomlinson <tomlins@cam.org> writes:

> >> We are *NOT* Debian, thats all you need to get!
> >
> > Ok.  So from what I understand you are worried there are packages that
> > debian can distribute but only debian has the permission...   If this is
> > the case is there not a way you can ask debian to distribute just the non
> > free stuff?  ie.  This project builds the packages from debian sources,
> > debian hosts the non free stuff on one of their servers.
>
> Who is to say we are allowed to build the binaries?

This isn't an answer to his question.  He's saying why not let the AMD64
non-free be distributed from a Debian server, since you're original excuse
was that "you aren't Debian".  The answer is of course that you never even
bothered to ask "Debian" for help or for a statement about your identity that
would eliminate any theoretical legal threat.  Hell, you could have just kept
non-free on alioth and linked to it from AMD64's new location until a
solution to the problem was found since non-free by itself is very small and
the move away from alioth was because of space reasons, but no, even keeping
the old location temporarily wasn't acceptable, non-free had to go, period.
You saw a chance to get rid of non-free, even though its temporary, even
though a majority of DDs have officially disagreed with you in a vote, and
its only result is to annoy the AMD64 users until AMD64 returns to a "Debian"
server, all because of your extremist ideology.

I've been using Debian since pre-1.0 days when I got it off an Infomagic CD
when I didn't have regular net access, but the times have changed, certainly
the people around Debian have.  I never would have thought that Debian would
reach the point where it would deliberately and **pointlessly** annoy its own
users because of software religion, instead of just trying to produce the
best Linux distro possible, but its apparently come to that.  No wonder
Ubuntu looms large over Debian now, they're taking the best of Debian, but
leaving behind the religious wars, and they will now gain strength and speed
as Debian slows down due to endless religious infighting.  Anyway, its been
fun, but its time to move on now, apparently.  Goodbye all.