Re: user dchroot does not work

Alexander Fieroch wrote:
> $ dchroot -c ia32 -d openoffice
> (ia32) openoffice
> No shell
> dchroot: Child exited non-zero.
> dchroot: Operation failed.
>
> In google I've found the same problem with this answer:
>
> "Literally that looks like you have no shell.  Check your password
> field entry in your chroot and verify that shell exists in the chroot
> and is executable there along with all required libraries for it."

I think I actually wrote that previously so I might as well jump in
again.  :-)

> I have the same users and passwords in debian amd64 and chroot ia32.
> /home is the same directory using a mount bind. The shell (/bin/bash)
> exists and is readable and executable for everyone.

Use dchroot as root to become root in the chroot.  Then from there can
you su to the user?

  sudo dchroot -c ia32

At that point you should be root in your chroot.  Use su to load the
user environment.  Where 'youruser' is your normal user account.

  su - youruser

What does that say?  I am guessing it will say no shell.  Look to see
why.  These commands should help.

  id youruser
  getent passwd youruser
  grep youruser /etc/passwd
  grep youruser /etc/group

Somewhere along the way the problem will be obvious.

Bob