Re: Octave

On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 23:33 +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2005 at 02:02:41PM -0700, Attila Kocsis wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Does anybody know if any 64-bit Octave version exist?
> > Thx
>
> Yes, it's avaiable.  The source package, and the real binary
> pacakges are called octave2.1.
>
> However, I can't tell if the package works perfectly in 64 bit
> mode or not, since I never used it.  But I have no reason to
> believe there is a problem with it.

I believe that the current version, while working on 64bit architectures
is really 32-bit in practice (i.e. it uses ints as indexes, therefore
limiting data structures to 2GB).  Clinton Chee at the UNSW HPC group
has patches he's trying to get into the main tree.  I'm not sure of the
status of this, but I do know he has the test-suite passing on an SGI
Altix.  More information here: http://tinyurl.com/amsrh

Cheers,
Steve