Re: SSH package concerns...

This one time, at band camp, Nathan Dragun said:
> While setting up PAM in conjunction with SSH I included the following
> line to deny access unless found in the following file:
>
> auth    required        pam_listfile.so sense=allow onerr=fail item=user
> file=/etc/sshloginusers
>
> Which works, sort of.
> ...Lets say for examples sake the user "bob" is trying to get in, but is
> not listed in this file.  Ie: not authorized.  If I try to connect via
> the windows program PuTTY, the first attempt fails, naturally, but if I
> re-type the password when prompted it will let me in!!!  Not good.  I
> tested this several different ways and found that if I try and go from
> linux box to linux box after about 4 attempts it will let me in.
>
> SSH package version: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1 Debian-8.sarge.4
> in conjunction with: OpenSSL 0.9.7e 25 Oct 2004
>
> Now I was doing some research into this, figuring I configured something
> wrong or what not early on when I first noticed this authentication
> problem existed and noticed that there have been some huge changes from
> the 3.8.1p1 release back in October 2004 (Ironically if I read that
> right 4.0 was just released today). Changelog:
> ftp://ftp.ca.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/OpenSSH/portable/ChangeLog
>
> But, why on earth is this package so out of date??  Insight into this
> would be greatly appreciated.

What you are experiencing sounds like a configuration problem to me.
You presumably have multiple auth mechanisms listed besides UsePam, and
eventually one succeeds, although the PAM one failed.
|   ,''`.					     Stephen Gran |
|  : :' :					 sgran@debian.org |
|  `. `'			Debian user, admin, and developer |
|    `-					    http://www.debian.org |